LSC 2183 Energy Audit Report on Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption (20%)
You must conduct an energy audit project, which assesses your normal petrol consumption and determines whether fuel saving measures effectively reduce your car’s consumption of petrol. This data will then be used to produce a short report. To do this you will measure and collect data on fuel use of your car, analyze that data, and describe it in a report. The report should contain some analysis of problems encountered and solutions applied.
You will be assessed in the following areas:
Understanding and use of a range of specialist and semi-specialist terms used in engineering technology, and ability to demonstrate acceptable word choice, and select and transform language appropriate to a given task (150 – 200 items). (LO2)
- Ability to write brief descriptions of graphs and charts. (LO1)
Day One. Fill your car up completely and record the number of kilometres on the odometer.
- Collect data on the number of kilometers covered by your car each day. You can (keep a small notebook and pen/pencil and write in it every day).
- Record every time your refuel your car, how much petrol you put in, how much money you spend and how many kilometers you traveled since the last time you refueled. You can use the trip meter function in your car for this.
- Research fuel-saving techniques, and record all of the sources, which will need to be included in your reference list.
- After 7 days of normal driving, you should introduce suitable fuel-saving measures, and continue recording your fuel consumption for another 7 days.
- At the end of 14 days refuel your car completely for a final time and note the reading on the odometer. Note: if you fail to do so, you will be unable to complete this task.
Note: to effectively record the required data, you will need to use spread sheet provided on BB by your teacher.that includes the following
14 days of measurements:
For each day include the kilometres for that day
Each time you refueled, how much fuel you put it, a calculation of your fuel efficiency.
- Graphs must be created to display the recorded data for both distance covered and fuel efficiency
- You will need to write a short report about your project with the following section, using headings and numbers:
- Cover page following HCT guidelines, containing a signed Academic Honesty statement
- An Introduction which introduces the report, its aim and scope. You must include the kind of car you drive (its make and model) as well as its engine size.
- A Method Section which describes the steps that were followed in order to gather the data using passive voice
- A Results Section which describes the results of the fuel usage, and which should include your graph (titled ‘Figure 1’)
- A Discussion Section which analyses, interprets and evaluates the results, and which provides possible explanations for any significant data, including whether your energy saving measures were successful or not. You will also need to investigate the official fuel consumption figures for your vehicle and make a comparison between your figures and the official figures. You will need to analyse and discuss any differences.
- A Conclusion Section which briefly summarises the report.
- Reference list of all external sources you have used or referred to in your report is required, and this must follow APA referencing style.
- An appendix which includes your spreadsheet of data, an image of your vehicle and its odometer at the start and end of the project, and any other relevant images or data you wish to include.
The report should contain approximately 500 words
Submission Deadline: Reports must be submitted on BB learn by May 6th, 2016